Historical Notes

Historical Notes

PATH ON ANCIENT ROADS Middle Ages  in Liguria.

 BALZI ROSSI (fraction of Ventimiglia)

It’a very important prehistoric settlement with its museum, deserves a thorough visit. Nearby are the beach called the “eggs” famous for the type of its stones in the shape of eggs, and Villa Hanbury, with its magnificent garden, crossed by stretches of Via Romana. Before joining Ventimiglia, of considerable interest is the Porta Canarda century. XIV, with bas-reliefs of 1514.


Commercial city, tourist and resort located at the mouth of the river Roja. The medieval city is spread on the hill where there are important monuments: the  Cathedral of Assunta in Romanesque style with wide Gothic portal was rebuilt in sec. XI-XII, shaped basilica. It has a solemn interior, with three naves, with a beautiful crypt; the Baptistery, with bath immersion of sec. XII, preserves sculptures of Lombard; the Romanesque church of St. Michele, former chapel of the Counts of Ventimiglia, is an example of Romanesque-monastic; in the crypt you can see Roman ruins, columns and two milestones. The archaeological museum is located in the fort of Annunziata. The city has important Roman remains: the theater and a large settlement.


Elegant town of the Italian Riviera; is divided into two parts: the old town on Cape Ampelio, and the new town in the flat area to the west. The monuments to remember are: the church of St. Ampelio, patron of the city, sec. XI-XII, with inside the crypt protoromantica; the museum Biknell rises in the ancient Via Romana.


Climate and sea resorts; from an ancient document of 1259 it traces the origin of Ospedaletti, the Knights of Rhodes, landed on the coast sick and then recovered from the mild climate. The Knights built a hospital (hence the name Ospedaletti) and near the church of St. Erasmo of the thirteenth century. Other monuments are the parish church of St. Giovanni Battista, of the seventeenth century and the square tower of 1597


Weather, tourist and fashionable center of international renown. Of Roman origin, you can see the remains of settlements in the area of Pian di Poma. Became in the Middle Ages, the Castrum Sancti Romuli and subsequently Sanremo. The “Pigna” is the historical center of the city, its feet are important monuments:  Basilica of San Siro,  sec. XIII in Romanesque Gothic, fort of Santa Tecla, Palazzo Borea-D’Olmo seat of the Civic Museum of Archeology. In the modern part of the city is the Russian Church of St. Basilio.

POGGIO (fraction of San Remo)

The village is situated in  panoramic position at east of San Remo, over Cape Verde. In the town you can see a square tower, hidden from the houses; near the church of St. Sebastiano. On the Poggio is the Sanctuary of the Madonna Della Guardia erected in 1671.

BUSSANA VECCHIA (fraction of Sanremo)

The old village was destroyed by the earthquake of 1887, remained standing only the bell tower, the population was moved downstream to the Sanctuary of the Sacro Cuore, forming the village of Bussana Nuova; The old village is reborn in the 60s thanks to the presence of artists, especially foreigners, who have repopulated.

TAGGIA    One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

Is located in the Argentina Valley, 4 km from the coast. Of medieval origin, preserving important monuments and boasts a remarkable historical center. To remember the convent of St. Domenico, with the church in 1460, with the interior style and precious paintings by Ludovico Brea, painter of 1400. In the convent, the cultural center in century. XV-XVI, you can admire the cloister of the ‘400, the refectory and the Chapter House with frescoes Canavesio (1482). Interesting is the church of S. Maria del Canneto the eleventh century in Romanesque style. Of great importance is the medieval bridge over the stream Argentina.


The name comes from the castle, built in defense of the village, dating back to 1162. Remember the Sanctuary of Lampedusa built in 1619, at the behest of Andrea Anfosso, miraculously landed in Taggia, after a trip to the island of Lampedusa, on board a boat which had as sailing image of the Madonna. From the square of the Sanctuary there is a wide view of the Valle Argentina.

 LINGUEGLIETTA (Cipressa)  foto.php - Copia One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

 It’s one of the oldest courts of the Marquis of Torino (XI century): you can still see the ruins of the foundations of the castle of the Lords of Lengueglia. On the square is the parish church of Nostra Signora  of the Visitazione and the nearby chapel of Santissima Annunziata; inside oratory admirable is the statue of the Madonna by Maragliano. Interesting the church fortress of St. Pietro, in the lower part of town.


Center  of  medieval  origin, perhaps  Venetian foundation  in  sec. XI; to strengthen this hypothesis we find the parish church of St. Marco. There are traces of ancient towers that defended the village, the best preserved is the tower of the Swiss.

TORRAZZA (fraction of Imperia)

The village runs along the slope of a hill. Interesting are the circular tower sighting of sec. XI, the church of St. Gottardo in 1574 and of great value in the medieval church of St. Giorgio, consecrated in 1001 the oldest inland of Porto Maurizio, the neighborhood west of Imperia.

CLAVI (fraction of Imperia)

In the village, on the stream Prino, we cross the beautiful medieval bridge sec. XIII with beside the small chapel of St. Martino.

CARAMAGNA (fraction of Imperia)

MONTEGRAZIE (fraction of Imperia) 

Center of medieval origin, there is the Sanctuary of Nostra Signora of Grazie of the century. XV, the most important medieval monument of the area. Of late Gothic architecture is built of hewn stone. Inside are important paintings fifteenth of Thomas and Matteo Biasacci by Busca (1483), Gabriele della Cella by Finale (1498) and Pietro Guido da Ranzo (1450). Of great importance is the cycle inspired by the Seven Deadly Sins, painted on the right wall. In the sanctuary you can also admire an important series of paintings dedicated to the miracles related Cammino di Santiago de Compostela in particular one that refers to “cock” of St. Domingo de la Calzada, devotional story very popular in medieval Europe. In the parish church you can admire a magnificent altarpiece by Carlo Braccesco (1478-1501).

BARCHETO (fraction of Imperia)

It’a small village behind Imperia-Oneglia where stands the chapel St. James the Greater, of medieval origin and remodeled in the modern era. In the vicinity are the remains of a medieval bridge, river Impero.

CASTELVECCHIO Santa Maria Maggiore (fraction of Imperia)

On the hill overlooking Oneglia stands the church of Santa Maria Maggiore of medieval origin, architecturally evolved over time, until it reached its current baroque appearance. It ‘the “mother church” of the valley of Oneglia. Important remains of the original medieval building (currently Baroque) with the coat of arms of the Doria, the lords of Oneglia. Inside there is a painting of the Madonna venerated. Nearby you can see a few ruins of the castle pre-existent.


Provincial capital, made up of two districts: Porto Maurizio, oldest structure, among its monuments the cathedral dedicated to San Maurizio of 1781 neoclassical, the largest church in Liguria, the oratory of St. Pietro, the lodges of the convent of the Clarisse, the birthplace of St. Leonard of Porto Maurizio, today church with a small convent. Inside you can visit the museum dedicated to the patron saint of the city. He was a key figure in the history of the Church in the eighteenth century, to him we owe the elaboration and spread the Via Crucis; in the seaside, in Borgo Marina, is the small church of the Knights of Malta used originally as ospitales (now no longer place of cult) and the neo-Gothic church Stella Maris with inside a fine marble relief of fifteenth century dedicated to St. Anne. In the district of Oneglia, industrial center; you can see the Collegiate Church dedicated to San Giovanni Battista in 1742, the beautiful harbor with its ancient arcades, the Museo dell’Olivo at the farm Fratelli Carli that collects an important collection of relics that tell the story of this plant that gave our city prestige and wealth, the Villa Grock or Villa Bianca, home of the famous Swiss clown, the palazzo Doria birthplace of Admiral Andrea Doria, and on the hill of the Cascine the beautiful church of St. Luca, the sec. XVII, in the Baroque style.

DIANO GORLERI (fraction of Diano Marina)

DIANO SERRETA (fraction of Diano Marina)

DIANO CALDERINA (fraction of Diano Marina)

Typical village Ligurian, with the beautiful church dedicated to St. James the Greater.


It’an important tourist center, was completely rebuilt after the earthquake of 23/02/1887; in the its hinterland is the site of ‘old Lucus Bormani and you can see the ruins of the mother church of San Siro before 1000 and the small Roman bridge.


In the hinterland is highly revered Sanctuary of  Madonna della Rovere, the famous Marian shrine built in the late Middle Ages and restored in century. XVI-XVII; has a neoclassical facade with the portal of 1553, inside there are precious wooden crucifix and a wooden statue of Madonna Miracolosa and Gesù. Near the Sanctuary, under the present Primary School “Uliveto” we can see the archaeological excavations of the Roman Mansio of Lucus Bormani, mentioned already in the Tabula Peutingeriana, the famous “road map” of Antiquity.

CERVO foto.php - Copia  One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of ‘Italy”

It’a center of great historical and artistic. Perched high on the headland stands the church of St. Giovanni Battista of the century. XVIII in late Baroque, also called the Church of Corallini because it was built with the proceeds of coral fishing. The square in summer plays an important classical music festival. To remember the castle Clavesana seat of ethnographic museum and several baroque buildings in the historic center.


It’a tourist center at the mouth of the river Merula. On the hill there are the ruins of the medieval castle with the tower of the Marquis of Clavesana. Besides there is the Romanesque-Gothic church of the century. XIII of SS. Giacomo e Filippo that follows its forms in the cathedral of Albenga; near a rare medieval source, on the bed of the stream Merula find the ancient Roman bridge, ten arches, over which passed the ancient Via Julia Augusta; near the church of St. Giovanni of the fifteenth century.

COLLA Micheri (fraction of Andora)

At 162 meters above sea, it’s a small characteristic village in Liguria with beautiful views of the Gulf of Alassio and the mountains of Western Liguria. In the small church of San Sebastiano stopped Pope Pius on VII February 16, 1814 to return from France.


Seaside tourist center of the western coast lies between Capo Santa Croce and Capo Mele with wide sandy coastline. In the east in Borgo Coscia note the ancient tower built in defense against the Saracens. The Sant’Ambrogio Parish, baroque, with Romanesque bell tower, has a fine slate portal of Renaissance forms. The historic center is characterized by the famous “alleys” and, overlooking the Ligurian Sea, the Romanesque church of Santa Croce offers a magnificent view of the gulf.

SOLVA (fraction of Alassio)

It’a small village, where you can admire the ancient church Dell’Annunziata sanctuary in 1200, expanded in 1440, inside frescoes depicting the capital vices.


It’an ancient route that joins Alassio and Albenga, along which meet near Alassio St. Anne’s Church (deconsecrated) then remains of the pavement, Roman buildings, the Pylon a tomb and Roman amphitheater. The view of the Bay and the island Gallinara is magnificent, the island is rich in history, he was the ancient seat of a community of hermit monks, then was entrusted in the seventh century to Benedictines.


It’s the most important monumental center of the western coast. Of Roman origin, preserving important monuments of the hight Middle Ages: the Baptistery of sec.V is the main monument Paleocristiano of Liguria; has an octagonal plan and preserves a fine mosaic of sec. V-VI; you can see in the river Centa the remains of the religious complex of San Clemente, perhaps the fifth century, built on the ruins of the Roman baths; the Cathedral San Michele Arcangelo of the century. XI-XIV is a Romanesque building altered several times, the interior is Romanesque vaulted boat. To the east of the city rises on the Roman road, a building of the Paleochristian of the fourth and fifth centuries dedicated to San Vittore, the Sanctuary of Nostra Signora of Pontelungo with inside the triptych of 1503 depicting the Madonna and Child and the medieval bridge on the ancient course of the river Centa, called Pontelungo.

CAMPOCHIESA (fraction of Albenga)

The church of San Giorgio, romanesque building of the century. XII-XIII, preserves important frescoes of the fourteenth century, among them the great fresco of the Last Judgement dated 1446.


The Parish of San Giovanni and Sant’Eugenio preserves inside a precious Crucifix of the sixteenth century and many altarpieces in the same period.


It was founded in 1288, the origin of the name is to be connected to the Hospice of the monks of Santo Spirito of the twelfth century.


Town that has ancient origins, already inhabited in Roman times was located along the route of the Via Julia Augusta, you can still see three Roman bridges, which came from Vado. To visit is the historical center and the town hall which preserves a Roman mosaic floor of the century III. Between the center and the hill of Carmel is the Church of Sant’Agostino wanted by Doria; on the hill, passing the third Roman bridge, stands the majestic complex of the Convent of Mount Carmel of 1603-1608, which preserves the Doria tombs until 1793.

RANZI (fraction of Pietra Ligure)

It’an interesting village with its old wash-tubs.


It owes its name to the stone castle of the seventh and eighth centuries that dominates the bay. Inhabited since Neolithic times, preserves religious and civil buildings of considerable importance: the church of San Nicolò, built after the plague of 1525, the Oratory of the Bianchi of the ninth century, the oratory of the SS Annunziata, Golli palace and palace Leale-Franchelli.


The church dedicated to N.S. del Buon Consiglio stands on a Roman temple and is located in the cemetery; is the eighteenth century, the church of San Pietro built on the ruins of an ancient castle of the Bishops of Albenga; famous are the Caves Valdemino, visited and dating to 550 thousand years ago.

VEREZZI (fraction of Borgio)    foto.php - Copia   One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

It’s a village by the characteristics houses Saracene, is famous for the theater festival that is held in Piazza S. Agostino in July. In the upper part of the village there are the Sanctuary of Santa Maria Maddalena and the church of San Martino.

FINALBORGO (Finale Ligure)   foto.php - Copia  One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

 The village retains the fifteenth century walls and several noble houses of sec. XV-XVIII, an octagonal tower of walls has been adapted to the bell tower, the fifteenth century, of the church of San Biagio, which has a sumptuous interior. Interesting is the Convent of St. Caterina with cloister with the Civic Museum. Above the picturesque village are the ruins of Castel Gavone.

VERZI (fraction of Finale Ligure)

In val Ponci go along the Via Julia Augusta with his five Roman bridges of sec. II of which Ponte delle Fate is the best preserved. The path continues along the dirt road on the plateau of the Natural Park of Manie, a sort of botanical garden with Mediterranean flora and fauna, dotted with caves and rural architecture of archaic type; inside the park you reach the Cave dell’Arma of considerable interest to the prehistoric finds, near the church of St. James the Great.

NOLI   foto.php - Copia   One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

Ancient village of Byzantine origin, Noli is to remember, next to the four most famous as one of the thriving and free Italian maritime republics. Of great interest is the church of San Paragorio century. XI, inside, bishop chair, baptismal font, wooden crucifix sec. XII, remains of frescoes. The Cathedral of St. Pietro has a rich treasure; alongsidethe tower Toso, home Repetto and upper Castle, fortified complex begun in XI century.


Small seaside town, its origins are very old, dating back to the Bronze Age, the town is dominated by the Castle of sec. XVI and the Church of the Santissima Annunziata of 1692 with inside fine works. The island of Bergeggi, was already harbor lighthouse of “Vada Sabatia”, became in sec. IV-VI first refuge of monasticism.


It is located in the territory of Vado the matrix church of San Genesio. Today the city is the oil port and industrial center; in the Civic Archaeological Museum are preserved artifacts and coins of the Roman “Vada Sabatia”.

ZINOLA (fraction of Savona)

You can see the medieval bridge with two arches of great value near the church dedicated to the Saint Spirito.


Provincial capital and episcopal seat, occupies the plain at the mouth of Letimbro, includes buildings from the Middle Ages to the Baroque period. With good reason is called the “City of the Popes”: the Della Rovere family gives to the church three popes, Sixtus IV and Giulio II between 1400 and 1500, and Pius VII. The oldest settlement was around the fortress Priamar fortified in 1500, near there is the medieval tower located on the harbor. To visit the Cathedral dell’Assunta and the Museum, that among the works has a Reliquary of the treasury of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. Outside the center of Savona, is the Sanctuary N.S. Della Misericordia of the sixteenth century, built after an apparition of the Virgin Mary, which occurred in 1536: it has a renaissance look, is rich in works of art, was visited by Pope Pius VII, who crowned the statue of the Madonna, after being released from Napoleonic imprisonment in 1814, next is the Museum which possesses vestments and works of goldsmith.


It’an important center of ceramics: one example is the waterfront of the artists, Corso Bigliati, characteristic for working in ceramics in large panels depicting the polychrome works of well-known painters and sculptors modern, Sassu, Capogrossi, Fontana …. The town is also remembered for the beautiful villas of the eighteenth-century Villa Durazzo-Faraggiana and Villa della Rovere-Gavotti, with beautiful parks and lavish interiors.


It’ remembered for the church of San Pietro in Romanesque style, to the nearby archaeological finds of Roman Alba Docilia, a medieval bridge in the historic center and Villa Gavotti with beautiful parks and lavish interiors.

CELLE LIGURE     One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

It’an ancient village which lies in a wide bay of the coast between hills in olive, pine and screws; today is an important seaside resort. To visit the Parish Church of S. Michele, the seventeenth-century, on wide staircase, with medieval bell tower, with inside paintings and sculptures of the 1600. The Church of N.S. of Consolazione of the seventeenth century, has a monumental staircase is located on the lungomare Colombo.


It’s remembered summer resort and winter for its pleasant position; its main attractions are the Collegiate Church of St. Ambrogio of the sixteenth century, with the majestic Romanesque-Gothic bell tower with triple lancet windows, a stretch of the medieval walls of the twelfth century, which include the façade of the original church of St. Ambrogio of the tenth century, and the fifteenth century church of St Domenico.


Industrial center and seaside resort, lies in a cove between Pian d’Invrea and the Cape of St. Martino. In the town are preserved two towers of medieval origin. Of importance is the Parish Church of S.M. Maggiore of the nineteenth-century, with the altarpiece of the seventeenth century.


It’s regarded as the garden city for its green for its pine forest. Important monuments are: the parish church of SS. Nazario and Celso, nineteenth-century, elliptical, rebuilt in its original form after bombings  of the second world war, preserves important works by Luca Cambiaso. Higher up is the Sanctuary of the Bambino di Praga in 1908, it’ highly revered in Liguria and houses a valuable Ceramic Nativity. Very interesting building is  Villa Pallavicini-Negrotto Cambiaso, today the town hall, with a large park and the saracen tower, the ‘500, built by the Genoese, in defense against the barbary pirates.

VESIMA ALTA (fraction of Genova)

Developed around the ancient monastery, which remains the Church of St. Pietro e Paolo was built by the Fathers Crucifer around 1155. Subsequent renovations have not affected the charm of the place. Nearby stood the mill and the spinning mill.


The village is characterized by the bell tower of the Parish of St. Eugene overlooking the sea, characteristic are the old wash-tubs and small houses that look like a crib.


It’ characterized for its “alleyways” that allow us to cross it without the hassle of cars. A Voltri you can visit Villa Galliera, with a large park crossed by 18 km of paths, which is home to a rich animals including deer, fallow deer and maltesi goats; near there is the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie or San Nicolò of the fourth century, where the Itinerant Sisters give hospitality to pilgrims.  Behind Voltri also stands the Sanctuary Dell’Acqua Santa, where there is a source of sulfur water, considered therapeutic and miraculous; you come to the sanctuary through the Scala Santa, which leads to the top where is the image of Ecce Homo.


The name’s origin is traced to Vituriorum Prata, from the name of the people who lived there in Roman times, of considerable interest is the Pieve of N.S. Assunta di Palmaro, built before 1000. Pra is famous for its basil DOP.


It’s a beautiful town, famous for its mild climate, the rich gardens and luxurious villas, among which the best known is the Villa Durazzo-Pallavicini. The park, a unique example of romantic garden, designed by architect and designer Michele Canzio in 1840, offers the opportunity to follow a charming itinerary, including temples, caves, lakes and pagodas, surrounded by mediterranean plants and exotic at the same time, the villa is the Museo Civico Archeologico Ligure. Also interesting is Villa Doria, surrounded by a park of oaks and pines, where, in summer, are set up different shows; it is the seat of the Naval Museum.


The town already existed in Roman times, although the village was more inland, the actual historical center is built around the great Basilica dell’Assunta of the seventeenth century in Via Sestri which is the longest pedestrian street of Genoa. The church of San Giovanni Battista of the seventh century, is the parish seat since 1132, the Church of the Natività of the Maria Santissima and St. Nicola of Tolentino in 1647 is characteristic for its magnificent stairways. Palazzo Fieschi now seat of the district and Palazzo Sciallero Carbone are the most important buildings of the sixteenth century. In Sestri are placed many industrial sites that today characterize this place.


It ‘an industrial center that has ancient origins, until a few decades ago was considered a stunning coastal location, the same Petrarca praised as beautiful vacation resort. All the noble families of Genoa and not, vied in owning their own villa in this location and still can be admired. In Cornigliano is the church of St. James  the Great in Via Cervetto 3, held by the Scolopis.


In 1926 it became part of the “Great Genoa”. Over the centuries it has been a fortress, then famous resort of the noble families of Genoa, now industrial and tourist center. During the sixteenth century the bastions of defense were culled and, in their place, were built sumptuous villas that still constitute the most significant artistic heritage of Sampierdarena. The most important nucleus consists of Villa Grimaldi, Villa Imperiale and Villa Spinola, all attributed to the architect Galeazzo Alessi; facades and interiors are decorated with beautiful frescoes of biblical inspiration, bucolic, and mythological. At the eastern end of Sampierdarena, to Capo Faro, wonderful place of defense and observation, there is the famous Lanterna, symbol of the city of Genoa. The building dates back to the early twelfth century and is reached by a staircase of 375 steps.


Our path winds through the streets of the medieval Genoa. Meets Piazza Commenda, where you can admire La Commenda of the ancient hospital of the Cavalieri Gerosolimitani of the XII – XVI century (ancient hospital) and the architectural complex of the Church of San Giovanni di Pré, Romanesque-Gothic XII-XIV century, with a bell tower cuspidate in triple lancet; cross Via Pré and you reach Porta dei Vacca, ogival arch between two towers, part of the walled city of 1155-1160. You enter in Via del Campo, notable for the variety of buildings, doorways and reliefs, votive aedicula dedicated to the Madonna Regina of Genova valuable. You cross Piazza Fossatello and the homonym street to reach Via San Luca, where on the left there is the Church of San Siro which was the first cathedral of Genoa, was rebuilt between 1586 and 1613, has a neoclassical facade (1821) . The interior is decorated with frescoes and relief of Carlone and altar paintings of painters in 1600, is a good example of Baroque ganovese. Via San Luca is one of the oldest and most important streets of the old city, adorned noble palaces in the centuries XIV, XV, XVI. To remember the Church of San Luca founded in 1188, rebuilt in 1650, with internal frescoes by Domenico Piola. We arrive at Piazza Banchi where there is the Loggia of the Merchants, or the Commodity Exchange of the late ‘500. Continue in Via Canneto il Curto and then in Via San Lorenzo where you can admire the Cathedral dedicated to San Lorenzo and consecrated in 1118 by Pope Gelasius II; of particular interest is the Chapel of St. John Battista (1450-65) and the Museum of the Treasure of San Lorenzo. Continue and you exceed the Ducal Palace, the Jesuit church with inside  important painting by P.P.Rubens and go up towards Porta S. Andrea or Porta Soprana that opens between two towers, was part of the circle of walls of the medieval city in the years 1155-1160. Continue on Via XX September one of the main arteries of the city, flanking the neo-Gothic portico above which rises the Romanesque-Gothic St. Stefano of 960.


It’ characterized by the passage of the Via Antica Romana di Quarto, there is the Romanesque church of San Giovanni Battista di Quarto and the church of Santa Maria della Castagna, also of the Romanesque inside with important painting by Luca Cambiaso.


It’a neighborhood that lies behind Nervi, reachable by features and steep “crose” surrounded by nature with beautiful views of the Gulf of Genoa and the promontory of Portofino. It ‘important to the parish church of Sant’Ilario dating back to 1198, keeps inside the splendid Crucifix by Maragliano.


It’a village located in an inlet at the mouth of the creek, is typical Ligurian village with ancient origins testified by the Roman bridge, rebuilt in the thirteenth century.

PIEVE ALTA (fraction of Pieve Ligure)

It ‘a village of ancient origins, the territory around the church of San Michele Arcangelo. The parish church was built in 1000 d. C. has undergone various interventions over time, the current look is the result of a reconstruction of the XVIII in baroque style on the remains of the ancient church, in its interior there is a painting of the Baptism of Christ dated 1400. Important building is the oratory of Sant’Antonio Abate built in the early 1400s, has inside renowned “Cristi” of the varios confraternities.


The village overlooks the Golfo Paradiso and has the typical Ligurian village. St. Margherita d’Antiochia is a religious building of 1711, built on a religious temple of the twelfth century, its bell tower is considered one of the most beautiful bell towers of Liguria.


The town was damaged during the Second World War, was destroyed almost entirely, today is a modern city, so the church of St. Giovanni the Battista and Giovanni Bono is a modern reconstruction of the 1950. Recco is famous for its water polo team, and for its Focaccia.


Typical seaside village, tourist center known for its harbor and for tall and colorful buildings near the sea. It ‘also called the “City of the Thousand White Sailing Ships” or “Gem of the Golfo Paradiso“. The medieval town center, with its typical tall houses, supported each other, uphill alleys, steps and porches, surrounds the small harbor. Center of maritime trade, we have news of its port since 1158; its navy was active mainly from 1700 to 1900. You can admire: the Castello Dragone, dating from the twelfth century, altered several times; it remains a massive square tower, venue of the Aquarium of the Tyrrhenian Sea. Of medieval origin (sec. XI), but also rebuilt over the centuries, is the Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta, overlooking the small harbor underlying, stands on what was the ancient settlement of the island. Built in the twelfth century suffered over the centuries many renovations and expansions, currently the facade is neoclassical, the interior is a basilica with three naves, preserves important paintings by Genoese painters such as Luca Cambiaso and Benedetto Castello. In the picturesque harbor is held every year in May the characteristic Fish Festival.

SAN ROCCO (fraction of Camogli)

It’located 221 m s.l.m. with panoramic view of the Golfo Paradiso; there is the parish church of San Rocco, keeps inside a monumental marble cornice of Bernardo Schiaffino that encloses the painting Madonna della Salute of Carlo Dolci. From the churchyard branches off the path (road-sign: empty red circle) enriched by the Stations of Via Crucis and the Mysteries of the Rosary illustrated with polychrome tiles. The locality is known for being home to the, awarded annually, on August 16 to animal that was marked by a gesture of goodness.


In the Gulf of Tigullio, is an elegant tourist center. It stands in handicraft, processing lace from the lacemakers. In this pleasant place you can admire the sumptuous Villa Durazzo-Centurione, full of statues of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries; has a large garden overlooking the Gulf. To visit is the baroque church of St. James’s Corte with frescoes by Nicolò Barbino and the Basilica of Santa Margherita of Antiochia, the patron saint of the town, has inside valuable paintings of Castello, De Ferrari and Carlone.

SAN MICHELE DI PAGANA (fraction of Rapallo)

It’s about 2 km from Rapallo as many from Santa Margherita. The parish church of San Michele A. dates back to 1133 probably built on the remains of a pre-existing pagan building it houses the painting of the Crucifixion by the Flemish painter Van Dyck painted during his stay in San Michele di Pagana between 1621 and 1624. Villa Pagana from 1959 is one of the magisterial residences of the Grand Master of the Order of Malta. Known locally as the villa of the Knights of Malta, was built by the family Orero in the seventeenth century.


Is located in the western part of the Gulf of Tigullio, set in the gulf that takes its name. Tourist town, among the most important monuments remembers the bridge called “of Annibale,” which is a building with a single arch, probably built in the Middle Ages. The Collegiate Church of SS. Gervasio and Protasio is of ancient origin, with important paintings in the 1500-1600 painters Fiasella, Castle and il Sarzana. To the east lies the characteristic Castle sixteenth century an average fortress built near the small beach of the fishermen in the seashore built in defense from barbarian invasions. In the municipal park Casale is the nineteenth-century Villa Tigullio hosting the International Library and the Museum of pillow-lace. Located 11 km off the path stands the venerable and important Sanctuary of Madonna of Montallegro.

SANT’AMBROGIO o Sant’Ambrogio della Costa (frazione di Zoagli)

The locality is situated on a hill 198 meters above sea level between Rapallo and Zoagli. From the Church-square of the homonymous parish church you can admire a great view of the Gulf of Tigullio and the city of Rapallo. Ezra Pound (1885-1972), American poet, lived in the fraction as a guest in the villa of the violinist Olga Rudge.

SAN PANTALEO (fraction of Zoagli)

It’ particular the small church of San Pantaleo, built in the twelfth century on ancient Via Romana. Inside it preserves the cup with which, according to legend, was offered a drink to Pope Pius VII returning from France after imprisonment.


It’ a center of the Riviera di Levante, located on the Gulf of Tigullio at the mouth of the valley of the stream Semorile, the sides of the valley are punctuated with houses and villas, among thick olive groves. Despite being a tourist center maintains its physiognomy  seafaring  and artisan: important is the hand weaving of silk velvets. In the town is to remember the parish church of San Martino, built in 1725 and rebuilt after the 2nd World War. Preserves important paintings and statue of A.M. Maragliano, the seventeenth century. On either side of the town, two towers sixteenth defense recall the times of the barbarian invasions; to see the villa of the choreographer Sem Benelli, built in 1912 stands on a spur of rock and its particular architecture.

SAN PIETRO di ROVERETO (fraction of Zoagli)

Located in the hamlet, the church of San Pietro rises on the ancient Via Romana.

SANT’ANDREA di Rovereto (fraction of Chiavari)


It ‘a town located to the right of the river Entella. The oldest of Borgolungo, characterized by narrow streets and arcades, form the commercial district, today is the most important industrial center of Tigullio. The town is full of monuments, among which include: the Sanctuary-Cathedral of Nostra Signora dell’Orto origin of the seventeenth century, rebuilt in the nineteenth century, has a beautiful neoclassical pronao; inside are valuable the major altar of 1624, an important seventeenth-century paintings and sculpture by A. M. Maragliano. The Palazzo Rocca, with park, library and art gallery is the seventeenth century, expanded in 1760, now houses the Archaeological Museum which preserves the remains of a Roman necropolis of the eighth century BC. In Nostra Signora dell’Orto Square is the Diocesan Museum of  Sacred Art. In the city center there is the Church of St. James the Great which dates back to the ninth century with inside images dedicated to Santo, near the church there was a hospice for the reception of pilgrims. Remember handicrafts furniture (chair chiavarina) and workmanship of the characteristic lace macramé. In locality of Le Grazie, on the Via Aurelia to west of the town, since the Middle Ages was the venerated Sanctuary of Nostra Signora delle Grazie, then rebuilt in the fifteenth century, contains remarkable frescoes on the walls including the Judgement of the painter Luca Cambiaso and in the small chapel located to the left of input of the church a fresco dedicated to St. James the Great.


It’ known for its slate quarries, tied to the noble house of Fieschi that gave the Church two important popes: Innocente IV and Adriano V. To the latter refers  Dante in the Divine Comedy, Purgatorio, song XIV, when he describes the the area around the river Entella, which he called “the river beautiful.” Among other illustrious personages of Lavagna are S. Caterina Fieschi Adorno and many admirals, military leaders and scholars. Main monuments of the town are: the Collegiate Basilica of St. Stefano, built on an existing church dating back to 944, mother church from the tenth century, behind the church is located the monumental cemetery for his sculptures funeral is considered one of the most remarkable of the territory and the Medieval Bridge over the river Entella, told of Maddalena, which dates from 1210 and was built by Ugone Fieschi.

SANTA GIULIA (fraction of Lavagna)

In the locality there is the parish church of Santa Giulia of Centaura that was erected on an existing structure of the eleventh century, initially dedicated to the Apostle James the Greater; very nice is the churchyard and the panorama of the Gulf is unparalleled.

CAVI (fraction of Lavagna)

It’a small village in the municipality of Lavagna, today is an important location turistica-seaside resort from the sandy shoreline. The Church of the Immaculate Concezione is of the 1557 characteristic are his marbles worked. Before going down of Sestri Levante on Via Romana you can see the ruins of St. Anna, from whom you can enjoy a magnificent view over the Gulf.


Renowned seaside resort, extends in the flood plain at the mouth of the stream Gromolo, is defined the “City of the two seas”, in fact faces between two picturesque bays: Baia delle Favole and Baia del Silenzio, dominated by a rocky promontory with the beautiful park of the Albergo dei Castelli, where stands the church of San Nicolò dell’ Isola of sec. XII, then rebuilt in the following centuries: it was the first parish of Sestri. In Parco dei Castelli you can see “the Tower” where Guglielmo Marconi he completed his experiments with radio short waves. In the town center stands the basilica of Santa Maria di Nazareth dates back to the seventeenth century and is characterized by a neoclassical pronao, within the are exposed paintings by Genoese painters (Tavarone, Castle, De Ferrari, Sarzana) and a a wooden Pietà of A.M. Maragliano. In the district of Santo Stefano we can cross the bridge medieval. In May there is the Literary “Andersen Prize” contest dedicated to the readings for children and teenagers. Every year there are many fairy tales from around the world. To the Andersen Award is the setting of the same name “Andersen Festival” in June.

TRIGOSO (fraction of Sestri Levante)

It ‘an important center for its shipyards and has a wide sandy shore. Important is the church of San Pietro, with a mosaic decoration on the apron.

MONEGLIA  foto.php - Copia  One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy” 

It’a tourist center located in the gulf between Punta Moneglia and Punta Rospo. It overlooks a brief andy beach, it is surrounded by orchards and gardens. Of Roman origin, was an important settlement reached by the Via Aurelia. It is the homeland of Luca Cambiaso (1527-1585) and the melodramatic poet Felice Romani (1789-1865) To the east of the town you can see the ruins of the castle of Villafranca, of the 1173. To the west of the Castle Monleone, badly damaged, it was renovated and became a private residence. Among the monuments include the parish church of Santa Croce, the ancient medieval church, rebuilt in 1894 in Baroque style. More important, from the artistic point of view is the church of St. Giorgio, originally fifteenth century, but restored in the nineteenth century. A major event is the literary prize, named Felice Romani.

LEMEGLIO (fraction of Moneglia)

DEIVA MARINA      One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy”

This village is situated on the right bank of the Deiva stream, upstream of the wide beach. In sec. XIV-XV the inhabitants of the villages Mezzema and Passano settled in the area where it developed the actual Deiva. Date back to the fifteenth century a stone square tower and the ruins of another circular tower at the seaside. Important in Passano are the ruins of the Castle, which belonged to the feudal lords Da Passano, gentlemen of the place. The parish church of Sant’Antonio Abate is baroque, resulting from a fifteenth-century building. Older is the church dell’Assunta of Lombard origins and later rebuilt.

FRAMURA        One of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy” 

Located halfway up the hill between lush Mediterranean nature, Framura consists of various fractions, is located inside one of the many inlets and bays typical of the rugged coast of the Riviera di Levante, particular and unique is the Rock of Ciamia that protects the harbor, at its summit stands the statue of the Madonna. It belongs to the protected area of the Cinque Terre. Old “Pagus Romano”, in the Middle Ages Framura belonged to the abbey of San Colombano. A square tower Carolingia century IX is among the rarest monuments of the coast: had a primitive function of defense against Saracen invasions, today has been adapted at the bell tower of the old parish of Framura. The church of San Martino, the current parish of Framura is the sec. XI, but was altered in later centuries. Preserves an ancient baptismal font, in red porphyry, and a painting of 1600, attributed to Bernardo Strozzi. At Loc. Setta, a massive square tower of the century XVI is in good condition.


It’ situated in a cove protected by a ring of hills covered with pine and olive trees and is known for its fine red marble extracted from the quarries of its territory. Seafaring village, built in the late Roman, it was like other neighboring countries, in the Middle Ages, under the Lordship of the Da Passano, who ceded at Genova in 1132. In defense of frequent pirate raids, in the ‘500 a castle was built, of which there are still some ruins, and founded the Company of Bonassola, Mutual Aid Society for the ransom of slaves. To remember the parish church of Santa Caterina D’Alessandria of the sixteenth century, inside the works of valuable painters and sculptors from Liguria.


It’ tourist and seaside resort, located at the mouth of the stream Chiararo and is protected by a large hillside amphitheater, on which there are numerous scattered hamlets. The ancient Cerula (or Ceula) is mentioned for the first time in 1164, the year in which the Barbarossa gives confirmation to Malaspina who had made a naval base. In medieval times it became a center of commerce fueled by different routes of terrestrial communications, including the Via Francigena and maritime communications. The town preserves important monuments: the parish church of Sant’Andrea of the thirteenth century completed in the fifteenth century, is in the form of three-aisled basilica; the facade, with stripes alternating white and dark green, has a beautiful doorway two light Windows ogival (the most recent is the addition of the rose window) and is crowned by a decorative arches. The original structure is preserved in the central interior; the building houses two paintings by Carlo Braccesco of 1495. The Medieval Loggia was built in 1265, preserves the Romanic columns with capitals, the Casa Restani is a building porch and opened by elegant triple and four lancet.The Castello San Giorgio with battlements is a remake of the 1500s, they remain few remnants of medieval walls of the village, and also there is the Torre Dell’Orologio. Remember the Permanent Museum of Material Culture, situated ex oratory and the church dedicated to St. James the Great and his Brotherhood.

FONTONA (fraction of Levanto)

In the forest lies the small Sanctuary of the Madonna del Soccorso.

It ‘an ancient pilgrimage route that linking together 5 Sanctuaries: “Is a spiritual path to try to live.”


It’is located within the National Park of the Cinque Terre; is an ancient Marian sanctuary, mentioned for the first time in 1244, has always been the place for the reception of pilgrims. Inside you can venerate the sacred image of the Madonna regent knees the dead Christ. Besides the church, there is guest quarters for the reception.


It’is located within the National Park of the Cinque Terre; dates back to the Romanesque period, inside there is a Black Madonna and Child. There is a guest quarters for the reception.  It rises above Vernazza, which is connected by a paved path of about 2 km, along which the there are the Via Crucis stations.


 It’is located within the National Park of the Cinque Terre in the small village of San Bernardino.The Sanctuary is very simple and dominates Corniglia.


It’is located within the National Park of the Cinque Terre; it’located in Volastra, an old village, its foundation could be of Etruscan origin. In its territory there is practiced cultivation of vineyards in the typical Ligurian terraces in drywall, with the production of local wine Sciactrà. The Sanctuary in Romanesque style dating from the twelfth century, has in its structure guest quarters for the reception.

CARPENA (fraction of Riccò del Golfo di Spezia)

It ‘a village in the municipality of Riccò del Golfo. The small village is already mentioned in the twelfth century, was one of the most important villages of the Middle Ages for its strategic location, you can still see the remains of the ancient fortifications.

CASTE’ (fraction of Riccò del Golfo di Spezia)

It’s a small medieval village.

LA FOCE (fraction of La Spezia)

MARINASCO (fraction of La Spezia)

The church of Santo Stefano di Marinasco is the thirteenth century in Gothic-Cistercian. Front of the historic church is the Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria del Mare with a wonderful view on Gulf of Poeti.

SARBIA (fraction of La Spezia)


It was rebuilt in 1084 in the style Romanesque on the lodging previous of which there are still visible signs in the apsidal area. The religious building is one of the oldest buildings in the Gulf, the structure a single nave, equipped with two apses and topped by a bell tower on the south side. The church was built to preserve the relics of St. Venerio, a hermit who lived in the sixth and seventh centuries on the neighboring  island of Tino.

SAN VENERIO (fraction of La Spezia)

It’s a small village with extensive view over Gulf of Poeti.

BACCANO (fraction of Arcola)

It’a small village where stands the Church of St. Stephen, dating from the eleventh century, rebuilt in the Gothic period with a square apse, surrounded by Cistercian chapels, retains four pillars of the original Romanesque structure and a marble triptych of the XIV century inside.


It’an agricultural and industrial center of the valley of Magra located to the east of La Spezia, on a hill that dominates the plain below. Apart from agriculture, (olives, grapes, fruit,) had development industry with several establishments located in the lower part. The old town type of Liguria is located on a hill, with old houses, it had a elliptical structure in concentric circles, retains the pentagonal high tower of the Obertenghi Castle, built in the tenth century; beside is located the Municipal Palace built in the Gothic style in 1884. The parish church of San Nicolò of the sixteenth century, then rebuilt in the Baroque period, has incorporated a previous chapel of the tenth century, contains a marble polyptych of 1503 and various paintings of 1600.


Active and ancient town, is situated on the eastern edge of the fertile alluvial plain of the lower course of the Magra, and lies to the east at the foot of the ancient fortress of Sarzanello. Of ancient origin (finds of the Bronze Age have been found in its territory), its castle is mentioned in 963, in a document of Emperor Ottone I, while the village is mentioned in documents from the 985. The inhabited nucleus began to take shape at the intersection between the Via Aurelia and the Via Francigena. Municipal institutions, created in 1124, were confirmed by Barbarossa in 1163; the emperor, however, the town surrendered to the jurisdiction of the bishops of Luni. Sarzana was the birthplace of Thomas Parentucelli who became Pope Niccolò V, 1447-1455; were born in Sarzana the painter Domenico Fiasella said “Sarzana”, 1589-1669, and the botanist Antonio Bertoloni, 1765-1869. The town is full of notable monuments we remember the Church of Sant’Andrea in the oldest part, Romanesque church, rebuilt in the fourteenth century, within, on the altar of the left, is venerated the miraculous image of Madonna delle Grazie.  On the area of the ancient parish church of St Basilio was erected between 1204 and 1474 the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta; on the simple marble facade, enlarged in the eighteenth century, is inserted deep portal surmounted by a rose window ogival; latin cross, inside the church owns valuable works: the polyptyches L. Riccomanni, depicting the “Coronation” of 1432 and “purification” of 1463, and the famous Cross of Maestro Guglielmo, by an unknown artist of the Tuscan 1138 painted on canvas and glued on wood, and others numerous paintings of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries; the right chapel is dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament and the Blood of Christ and is home to a fine marble tabernacle and the relic of the Precious Blood. Among other noble buildings we remember the palaces Massa-Neri, Magni Griffi-La Motte, Picedi-Benedettini, Remedi and home Bonaparte. In the historical center is the fortified Cittadella, dating back to 1488, was built by Lorenzo the Magnifico on the ruins of the ancient ramparts of the thirteenth century and enlarged in the sixteenth century with the addition of defensive walls and towers. The Sarzanello fortress, which stands on a hill north of the city, already occupied by the “Castrum Sarzanae”, the tenth century, was ordered by Castruccio Castracani, and dates back to the fourteenth century. The Fortress is composed of two distinct elements: the first is the main element of the fortification, as triangular plan, with at the corners three cylindrical bastions and houses the real structure of the castle; the second is a huge rivellino in the form of fortified embankment triangular, the two elements are connected by a bridge. The city has become a traditional seat of craft workshops for processing and restoration of wood and wrought iron, is center of exhibition and sale of fine antiques. Among the main events include: the “National Exhibition of Antiques” which takes place in August, said  “Attic on the road.”


Questo articolo è disponibile anche in: Spanish French

Questo sito utilizza cookie, anche di terze parti, per il suo funzionamento e per raccogliere statistiche sul suo utilizzo. Clicca su Accetta per consentire l'uso dei cookie da parte del sito. Leggi l'informativa completa.

Questo sito utilizza i cookie per fornire la migliore esperienza di navigazione possibile. Continuando a utilizzare questo sito senza modificare le impostazioni dei cookie o cliccando su "Accetta" permetti il loro utilizzo.